THE SHELTER THEM EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT CENTRE
Boys and girls from poor and disadvantaged families deserve a fair chance for a happy, productive, and independent future. Shelter Them is all about providing Rwandan children with the skills necessary to lead productive and independent lives. That all begins with a good education, starting as early as possible. In Rwanda, primary education is provided by the government to all Rwandan children, but many families, often headed by single mothers, cannot afford the cost of private and expensive early childhood education
So, what did Shelter Them do?
We created our own Early Childhood Development Centre in Gateko.
The school opened in early 2021 in the community centre built by Shelter Them with the ECDC in mind. In 2022, there were 89 students three to six years of age, enrolled in our ECDC. The play-based program, designed by our Education Coordinator, gives these youngsters the basic skills to prepare them for primary school. They are also provided with exercise and two nutritious meals each day, because healthy minds need healthy bodies. Not only do these children benefit, but adult caregivers we employ are receiving training, giving them new skills that will give them too an opportunity for an independent future. So, everyone benefits from the program.
There are many advantages to early childhood education:
Kids stay in school longer
They are more likely to be employed in high skill jobs
Their future earnings are increased by as much as 25%
And in developing countries, improved nutrition enables children to achieve their full physical, cognitive, and social potential
Do you want to help these children to have a fair start in life? Then you can join our ECDC Club. The title means Every Child Deserves a Chance. Here is how it works. We ask members of the club to commit to providing $15 per month to go exclusively to the operating costs of our ECDC in Gateko. $15 doesn’t seem to go very far for us these days, but in Rwanda, $15 per month can provide a miracle.
- $15 can provide the books and toys and learning tools that will start these kids on their adventure in education.
- $15 can provide the salaries for the teachers and caregivers and cooks and cleaners who provide a safe, clean learning environment for the students.
- $15 will provide all of the food to give these children nutritious, well-balanced meals each day
- $15 will pay for all the cleaning products that will provide these children with a clean, hygienic environment in which to learn, and that example will be a model for cleanliness and hygiene in their homes.
- $15 per month can transform the lives of these young children, not just now but for the rest of their lives.
Do you want to transform a life? If so, go to our donate page and Join the ECDC Club!